By Littlet

Essex, United Kingdom Gb

Plant seen in Madeira.

I've recently returned from a holiday in Madeira and we saw this plant which we thought was beautiful. Does anyone know what it is and whether it is something that would grow well in Essex.

It looks like a croton (Codiaeum varigatum) at the top and the bottom one....Trachelospermum maybe ?

I thought Croton as well, if it is you would have to grow it in a heated greenhouse ,or as a houseplant, Derek.

Yes, unfortunately a lot of the plants grown outdoors in these sort of places are houseplants in UK!

Thanks for all your responses. It's funny because I was in Homebase on Sunday and they had the same (or a very similar) plant in the indoor plant section(but it had no plant name) but it was green as opposed to lovely firey autumnual colours. I mayhowever buy one for indoors instead as I don't have many indoor plants.

Yes, it is annoying that Homebase etc sell plants as a 'decoration' and often don't label them so the buyer can't hope to find out how to look after it!