Holly Trees

By Mobee

Armagh Ireland, Ireland Ie

My Husband wants to buy couple of holly trees as we have always wanted holly in the garden,but we know nothing about the care,planting,also would we have to buy male&female to produce berries Many Thanks for any info!!!

most hollies need a male to produce berries, but one called J C Van Toll is a self fertile one that will produce berries without one

Just to expand on Grindle's reply, it's the female that bears the berries and she needs a male to get pollinated. Any good Garden Centre should be able to advise you on varieties

And to expand a little more....another good self fertile one apart from the one Grindle mentioned is Pyramidalis. :-)

I have Silver Van Tol, which is self-fertile and has lovely variagated leaves. Plenty of berries and no other holly bush around. It's one of my best buys.

Thanks Grindle&Andrew great tips cant wait to get them planted:~)))

Great info Merlin&Fractal least i`ll know what to look out for Thanks!!!

don't forget silver queens a male and golden king the female--i don't know why but there it is!!

Thanks Pam,didn`t know that my self unusal,good to know:~)))))