By Jenko

Wiltshire, United Kingdom Gb

Identification needed please! I've found some small mushrooms growing around an exochorda. The mushrooms are only small, about 1 inch tall and 1 inch across. They are pale cream around the edge of the top with a darker brown centre, I've attached some picures. The bush they are growing beneath doesn't look healthy either so I've put a photo of that on too. Can anyone shed any light on what they might be and what action I need to take.

Dsc_0130 Dsc_0131 Dsc_0132

Just adding a comment because I'm interested in reading the answers. I hope your exochorda recovers.

So far as I know these are not edible - i.e. I would not eat them! Fungi id needs so much more than a pix of the top... We've a few experts and hopefully they can help you.

Have a look around the shrub's roots for 'bootlaces' - it may be honey fungus.

It might help to see a picture of the underside and a cross section right through cap and stem to show how the gills are attached and also the complete stem uprooted, not cut off.
Also you need to detach one of the caps and leave it on a piece of clean paper overnight and see what colour spore spore print it leaves. (If you think its worth it - no guarantees even then!)

they aren't honey fungus, stems and caps wrong colours, but could be a type of russula or milkcap.

Thank you to all who gave advice on this. I'll see if I can find any more clues!

Not russulas I'm pretty sure, which includes milkcaps - but you can test for milkcap by breaking a bit off and seeing if milky liquid appears. You really need info as I suggested above for a proper identification - you can't do it from the cap with any certainty.

how to prune tree peonys »