why do the flowers on my passion flower plant close and die after a couple of days

By Budy

the flowers on my plant open as normal then close after a day or so,some of the flowers have then dropped off,this plant is only two years old and this is the first year it has flowered

I think this is quite normal Budy. Most Passiflora flowers (most species) only last a day or two but mature plants always have hundreds of buds coming along so are always in flower, at least in season.

It's because it is making the passion fruit now - if your is the Passiflora caerulea the fruit is edible when ripen.

As stated above, the flowers only last a day or so. If the fruit forms, I'd hesitate about eating them as they are not good tasting. To quote from
"Almost all passion fruit are edible but there are a very few that if unripe, are very toxic. If in doubt don't eat them. The common passion flower P. caerulea has edible but insipid fruit."