My daphne is getting too big and 'leggy'. Can I prune it back.

I live in Scotland and the plant is apparently quite happy in its position - in a shady spot. The branches are woody with leaves at the end of them. Hence the reason I am afraid to prune it.

On plant Daphne mezereum

I would hesitate to prune back a Daphne that only has leaves on the ends of the branches as there is nothing left for it to produce new leaves on.
I think the problem here is that the shrub is planted in the shade, hence the lack of leaves in the middle of the plant. Here in Moray I grow my Daphnes in sunny positions and have no reason to prune them.
Personaly I would leave it well alone, Sutherland.

They don't mind you removing dead, diseased and damaged wood, but don't take kindly to hard pruning.

I was reading the other day that the way to propagate Daphnes was to mound up earth around them and after a year or two they would send out roots from the individual stems and you could sever and replant them. Just a thought!

• Daphne mezereum Rubra (Daphne Mezereum Rubra)
  • Daphne mezereum (Daphne mezereum (Dafne))
  • Daphne (Daphne mezereum (Dafne))
  • Daphne mezereum f. alba - 2010 (Daphne mezereum)

bottom corner of the garden »