No time to dilly-dally
Hi to all my gardening friends, Yes I have been conspicious by my absence but there was No time to Dilly-dally on the computer.
I expect there was a lot of you doing the same, "Making good while the dry days were here.
I had a lot to catch up on and Autumn is always busy.But as it was dry I took advantage of every day to work in the garden.
The bulbs are coming in and the first to arrive were the colletion of Aliums, to be planted in the grass border but first I had to weed it all, so hopefully they will look great next year flowering from spring through summer.
I was unlucky this year having been away for two weeks I missed te cut price sales in Wilkensns, I did have my eye on a couple of things, I did however pick up a small garden arch for “£2.50” which I erected over the seat by the top of the stream in hopes that the rose I had planted there last spring would climg up.
I hae been taking cuttings of some of my plats and also collecting seeds and sewing them. Also planting some of the plants I bought home from my holiday, from some of the many gardens we had visited.
I have got a few more Heuchera’s so I had to make the border bigger t fit them in, I have still got my eye on some more…ooop’s.
I have filled the boat that I have in the seaside garden with garden compost. Well I needed to get rid of some as the three very large heaps left no space for more. First I had t put a layer of rubble in the bottom for dranage, well that took care of the broken blocks which was dumped to one side from knocking a wall down from the kitchen to make a dining area. Having filled the boat I planted some sembidiums and other alpine plants alomg with some dwarf daffs for spring colour. We then took a ride down o Newquay to pick up some crushed shells which are washed up onto he beach from the local fishery, these I washed and mulched to top. Yep it looks good.(see photo)
We hadto cut the Laylanii hedge along he left side of the garden as well as the one by the bog garden that forms thearch over the bridge, that meant we had to have a bon-fire t burn it all along with all the prunings from all the fruit trees and bushes. I had tryed to compost it in the past with no success so to the flames they ere tossed along with the grass strimmings from the wild flower border. Well that gave me a compost bag full of Pot-ash which is good for the garden. I then mixed half a bag of seed compost with some sand and half of the wild flower seeds and scattred over the wild area ad raked it in, it rained that night so I hope all the seeds were washed well down to the soil, the rest of the seed I will sew in the spring, It should look a real picture next year.
I have trimmed off the strawberry bed and pottedup hundreds of runners, some I gave way and some I will take into the greenhouse next springfor early fruits. the rest will go onto my plandt stall.
I have planted some spring brocolli and also dug up my rhubarb crowns, to divide but found they werenot wort keeping, only a few bits were kept so have to buy some new ones, I also replaced the soil with more garden compost.
I hae also managed to dig over most of the vegetable plot, well all I can fr the presant and sewed green manuer to replenish the soil.
I still have tomatoes ripening in the green house but they will have to be picked within the next week so I can bring in some plants for overwintering.
Some of the pots and hanging baskets are still floweing and looking to good to strip down at he presant but I know deep down that I can not leave them out for to much longer otherwise I will loose some ofthe plants that can be kept for next year. I also have to stack away the furniture in the conservetory so I can bring in the larger pots that I can’t get into the greenhouses.
- 12 Oct, 2009
- 3 likes
Previous post: I'm back
Next post: Rained off
Recent posts by doreensgarden
Members who like this blog
Gardening with friends since
26 Jun, 2009
Gardening with friends since
18 Jul, 2009