Recycling old compost produces twice as much as purchased new
- half a pack of compressed wood shavings at pet departments £3.99, plus two handfuls of
Horticultural Sand 1.99, two from a small pack of Blood Fish & Bone £3.99, and 3 buckets of old potting compost in a large box saves all the effort of carrying heavy bags from the car.
Garden soil is only ground up rock. Rotted plant material provides the goodness for future crops.
I am finding the mixture I first did in January has, added
to the Green Manure I sowed in a raised bed last August and dug in in October, produced a lovely workable
and nutritious soil for sowing again now.
It takes 3 or 4 months to rot down. I have a big box full all stirred up, ready to take to another raised bed today.
Jim on ‘Beechgrove Garden’ was very wrong when he said to throw old compost onto the garden.
I have been doing it for years. Now realise the error of my ways. Recycling is best !
- 20 Apr, 2015
- 1 like
Previous post: For those who live alone with limited garden space
Next post: p.s. And its peat free
Recent posts by dianebulley
- I have decided to be more systematic with plant feeding
20 Apr, 2017
- Thousands of people are suffering from Scalp Fungus.
31 Mar, 2017
- As we gently pot up tiny plants from the garden centre
26 Mar, 2017
- To use hoarded garden materials needs a plan.
14 Mar, 2017
- Good to have dry weather and the sun shining
7 Mar, 2017
- A car is connected to gardening, so here goes.
3 Mar, 2017
Members who like this blog
Gardening with friends since
22 Oct, 2008