How to avoid Lumbago !
Learn to dig the (W)right way. From the Wright Encyclopaedia of Gardening by Walter P.Wright (bless him) first published in 1933.
This method takes a few hours to master. I have used it for years. Its much quicker than conventional digging. People stop by my plot and watch me, fascinated.
All you have to remember is LEFT HAND PALM DOWN (if you are right handed). Take thin slices of soil, the depth of the spade, about 2" wide each time.
The shank of the spade is NOT gripped tightly, but held lightly with the left hand palm downward.
A slight twist of both wrists that surprises the beginner, the laden spade is raised a few inches from the ground, by levering the handle backwards with the right hand.
A slight twist of both wrists discharges the soil from the laden spade.
If left handed, reverse this procedure.
This method saves pain, hot water bottles, and trips to the Medical Centre.
- 12 Sep, 2011
- 1 like
Previous post: Cauliflower problems.
Next post: Nerines.
Recent posts by dianebulley
- As we gently pot up tiny plants from the garden centre
26 Mar, 2017
- To use hoarded garden materials needs a plan.
14 Mar, 2017
- Good to have dry weather and the sun shining
7 Mar, 2017
- A car is connected to gardening, so here goes.
3 Mar, 2017
- I have to replant all my Alpine plants and do it properly this time !
21 Feb, 2017
- I am interested in compiling a list of plant based remedies
19 Feb, 2017
Members who like this blog
Gardening with friends since
9 Aug, 2009