At my last house I used the greenhouse to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, bedding plants and propagate perennials. I was delighted that Vistabile came with a greenhouse too and hoped to continue to use it in the same way. However, there were several drawbacks.
A tall conifer hedge blocked much of the light from the south, so that had to be removed. That became an extended project due to work and family commitments but eventually it was achieved
The space between the greenhouse and the garage is home to an established apple tree. I don’t know which arrived first, the extended garage or the tree, but they are too close together and the tree has grown away from the wall and towards the greenhouse. The branches which had grown over the greenhouse had to be pruned back to stop ripe fruit dropping onto the glass and breaking it.
Stormy winds have compounded the damage started by the falling apples to the point where there are as many broken panes as complete ones. The situation was very depressing, I wanted to stop the rot and turn things round. This project has been in mind for quite some time, during which I did some research and decided to replace the broken glazing with polycarbonate sheets. I am hoping it really will help to insulate the greenhouse and provide adequate shading for plants.
So when asked what I would like for my birthday I was able to reply ‘some UPVC glazing sheets please’. This caused a good deal of mirth, and on my birthday the order was placed. The pack arrived in the middle of last week, a bit late for the Spring sowing frenzy but I had very little say in when I was born .
We waited until the weather improved at the weekend before starting the project.I cleared most of the greenhouse to give access to the panels that needed attention. Then I removed the broken glass and washed down the remaining panels and framework with a Jeyes fluid solution.
Paul gave me a hand to reposition some of the glass panels and to fit UPVC panels in the roof. We found the new panels varied, they had been cut approximately to size, so this wasn’t as straight forward as we had hoped it would be.
Our work was interrupted by a downpour. There hasn’t been a let up in the weather since, there has been no more progress, but the forecast is improving so we hope to have this project completed soon. The greenhouse is looking better, I can’t wait to start using it properly again.
- 4 Jun, 2008
- 0 likes
More blog posts by Xela
Previous post: Four Doors Away
Next post: Shock horror !